Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Falesco Merlot (2006) Umbria


A not-so-great offering from Falesco, a winery founded in 1979 by brothers Riccardo and Renzo Cotarella. Together, the brothers produce nearly 3 million bottles a year on over 900 acres located in both Lazio and Umbria. I'll admit that Merlot is not my favorite grape, so I didn't give it much of a chance. The wine reminds me of a scene from the '70's British sitcom "Are you Being Served?" when Captain Peacock finally gets to have lunch in the executive dining room and shares a bottle of wine with Mr. Rumbold. Captain Peacock: (Reading the label) "Peruvian Beaujolais." Mr. Rumbold: "Amusing little wine, isn't it?" Captain Peacock: "Hilarious." But I digress. Made from 100% Merlot that is grown in various estate vineyards in Umbria and harvested in early September. The wine is fermented in stainless steel tanks and aged in Nevers barriques for 5 months. Nice ruby color and full nose of blackberry's and stink. Too tannic, however, for my tastes.

No comments: