The L'Altro is 100% Chardonnay that has been sourced from family-owned vineyards in Treiso (Il Bricco Estate), in Serralunga d'Alba (colombaro) and in Trezzo Tinella (Bossania). 75% of the grapes are fermented in stainless steel tanks and the remaining 25% in new French oak barriques for a welcome, light, fruity character. The wine is kept on its fermentation lees for 5 months, prior to the bottling. Delicious on its own or with food - something seasonal and sustainably grown - preferably artisanal and/or heirloom. Please compost and recycle - and kids; stay in school.
Sunday, June 29, 2014
A terrific summer white from Pio Cesare, a fifth generation family winery that produces traditional Piemontese wines from its 50 hectare of vineyards near Alba. In addition to its own vineyards, Pio Cesare has fostered long-term relationships with area growers that share their viticutural philosophy.
Posted by jpk at 11:56 AM
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
A light, citrusy and herbal warm weather variation on the classic Negroni, with Aperol standing in for Campari, and Cocchi Americano for the sweet vermouth.
Fill a mixing glass with ice. Add gin, Cocchi Americano, and Aperol. Stir well. Strain into an ice-filled old fashioned glass. Twist grapefruit peel over drink to express oils, add to cocktail and serve.
Posted by jpk at 8:13 PM
Sunday, March 10, 2013
Posted by jpk at 7:23 PM
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
Posted by jpk at 7:40 PM
Friday, January 11, 2013
Not that white vermouth is anything new. Martini has been making its bianco vermouth since about 1910. In Italy, bianco is the most popular vermouth by far, and accounts for more than half of Martini’s production. Go to any bar at happy hour, and you’ll see Italian young people ordering bianco vermouth on the rocks, with a twist of lemon. In the United States, however, many liquor stores don’t even carry a white vermouth.
The difference between dry and white vermouth is significant. White vermouth has distinct aromas of thyme and oregano and notes of cloves and vanilla, striking a unique balance between sweet and savory. Many foolishly use dry vermouth when a recipe calls for bianco/blanc/white vermouth -- perish the thought.
A terrific use of white vermouth is the Astoria Vecchio, a twist on the classic early 20th century Astoria cocktail which uses white vermouth (I prefer Dolin) instead of dry and changes the gin to genever, a Dutch precursor to gin with a malt wine base, or Old Tom gin, a malty style prevalent in the 19th century -- especially a barrel-aged Old Tom such as Ransom, from Oregon (my preference).
2 1/2 ounces genever or Old Tom gin
1 ounce white vermouth
2 dashes orange bitters
Twist of orange peel, for garnish
Fill a mixing glass halfway with ice. Add the gin, vermouth and bitters. Stir for the appropriate craft cocktail time and in the appropriate craft cocktail manner, then strain into a chilled cocktail (martini) glass. Garnish with the twist of orange peel. Repeat as necessary.
Posted by jpk at 8:29 PM
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Posted by jpk at 8:30 PM
Monday, September 17, 2012
A delicious Italian white from Pojere e Sandri, a small winery/distillery located in the alpine village of Faedo that was founded in 1975 by Fiorentino Sandri and his winemaker friend Mario Pojer. The wine is 100% Müller Thurga, a variety found throughout Italy that is thought to be a sub-variety of the Riesling grape. In order to preserve the delicate aromatic characteristic of the grape, they are worked in iperriduction (no oxygen); a proprietary technique using methodologies developed by Pojer & Sandri. Pale straw/yellow with greenish tint. Intensely aromatic nose with hints of peach and citrus. All of the labels on their wines feature the work of German-born, Renaissance-era painter and engraver Albrecht Dürer.
Posted by jpk at 5:32 PM
Monday, August 20, 2012
Posted by jpk at 6:13 PM
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Posted by jpk at 6:07 PM
Friday, July 13, 2012
Posted by jpk at 9:05 PM