Thursday, October 8, 2009

Inama Soave Classico (2007) Veneto


I admit it. I never drank a Soave before. Maybe I’m a snob. Maybe I remember those bad Soave Bolla commercials from the 70’s. Maybe it’s all the bad press Soave gets. Boring. Cheap. Insipid. A commodity wine; mass-produced by cooperatives whose emphasis is on quantity rather than quality. While all that may be true about your supermarket variety, Inama’s Soave Classico is different. In the 1950s, Giuseppe Inama, the estate's founder, began purchasing small plots of vineyards in the heart of the Soave Classico region with the desire to produce top quality wines. In the 1990s, the winery purchased vineyards east of Soave in the neighbouring province of Vicenza and began making red wines from grapes such as Carmènere, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. Today, the winery has nearly 25 hectares under vine. I found Inama’s Soave Classico full of flavor and interest. Brilliant light yellow color. Wonderfully fragrant floral nose. 100% Garganega. Aged for 8 months in stainless steel before bottling. Delicious. I’m sorry I waited so long to try it.
 
 

No comments: